Sunday 29 September 2013

The Bookworm Series: City of Bones


The Blurb


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 


Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


My Opinion

When a  friend from college mentioned she was reading this book, I hadn't heard of it. At this point the trailer for the film was out and she showed me that after saying she loved the book and couldn't put it down. I liked the trailer and instantly wanted to read the book. My friend then said she had a voucher to get this book for £2.50 (I think?) and she would get it for me. After she'd given me the book it took me awhile to actually get around to reading it, she gave it to me around April/May and I've only read it this month.
As I hadn't heard of it much before reading it, I wasn't expecting it to be amazing. But some of the best books can be hidden until they get recognition with a movie.
Anyway I loved this book and I couldn't put it down, I tell myself I have to be asleep before 9:30/10 or I won't get up from college so I would go to my room earlier than I normally would just to read this. It's a great story and there's a big twist in the end of the book that I didn't see coming, I kind of just started at the page for a bit. I can't wait to read the rest of the series, they're already downloaded onto my Kindle ready.
If you like books that take you to another world, I really recommend this one.

Rating: *****
Release Year: 2007

Blurb from Goodreads (I was to lazy to write it up from the book)



3 comments:

  1. Have you watched the film? After watching it I really wanted to read the book and now that you say it's great I'm definitely going to buy it soon.

    Beauty Inside Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, No I haven't got around to watching the film yet but I've heard that it's close to the book and is a good film version of a book :)

      Delete
  2. I must admit I didn't even realize this was based on a book series until after I had seen the movie! I can vouch for the film (Best film Ive seen this year!) but I think I'll have to pick up the book series as I cant wait!

    ReplyDelete